[GRASS-user] GUI startup problems

Chiara Scaini chiara.scaini at bsc.es
Wed Jul 3 10:08:23 PDT 2013

Hey Hamish, sorry for the delay

g.gui works correctly, and also X0 is there
actually I could export the jpeg as I wanted

so... the error causes no problem but it's there
maybe will fix it installing the next version or updates

yes, its GRASS 6.4.3 and i have the repositories of ubuntugis enabled
thanks for the tips!!! :)

ciao
chiara

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 04:34:04 -0700 (PDT), Hamish wrote:
> Chiara wrote:
>
>> while starting grass, I get this message:
>> Starting GRASS ...
>> ERROR: G_getenv(): Variable LOCATION_NAME not set
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>      self._set_properties()
>>    File "/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/gis_set.py", line 221, in
>> _set_properties
>>      not os.path.isdir(os.path.join(self.gisdbase, location)):
>>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/posixpath.py", line 66, in join
>>      if b.startswith('/'):
>> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'startswith'
>> Error in GUI startup. If necessary, please
>> Switching to text mode now.
>
> no idea.. once you are in the GRASS text session, will the GUI
> start with "g.gui" ?
>

>> it is a while (3-4 weeks) bus I usually work with script so I do not
>> use the GUI but I would possibly do it soon using the d.out.file...
>> I tried it but I cannot enable the graphic display wiht d.mon so
>> maybe something weird is happening in my computer...
>>
>> I work on Ubuntu 12.04
>
> what does 'd.mon -L' say about x0 - x7?
>   x0   X-windows graphics display
> is it there?
>
> which version of GRASS? from the main ubuntu packages or UbuntuGIS's
> ppa or "GRASS Team" ppa?
>
> note d.out.file only works with "d.mon start=x0", not the wxGUI.
>

> Hamish

WARNING / LEGAL TEXT: This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information which is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the
intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,
distributing, copying, or in any way using this message. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender and
destroy and delete any copies you may have received.

http://www.bsc.es/disclaimer