[GRASS-user] r.hazard.flood: ERROR_G_malloc: r_accumulation

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Jun 10 06:59:55 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM, RichardC <richtcooper at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe some one could kindly advise what I'm doing wrong here.
>
> Previously I successfully used r.hazard.flood to generate flood and mti
> layers. However, now I'm encountering the following error with two other
> different DEM layers. The error appears to be related to memory, but there
> r.hazard.flood.py map=ASTGTM_composite_all_de at PERMANENT
> flood=ASTGTM_composite_all_delta_flood mti=ASTGTM_composite_all_delta_mti
> Cellsize : 30.0
> SECTION 1a (of 4): Initiating Memory.
> Current region rows: 17981, cols: 11271
> ERROR: G_malloc: unable to allocate 811437852 bytes of memory at
> init_vars.c:136

I guess that you are exceeding the 32bit specifications of your PC, if
- you are on a 32bit PC
- without Large file Support enabled (note that it is better
implemented in GRASS 7)

How to find out:

>  17981 * 11271
[1] 202663851
> 2^31
[1] 2147483648

# check
uname -a

... and tell us which GRASS Version you use on which system.

Also check if the computation region is as desired (g.region).

hope this helps
Markus