[GRASS-user] NDVI analyses with Landsat 8

Huub Munstege hmunstege at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 13 13:11:01 PDT 2013

Dear all,

in the following link I've uploaded an image that gives a bit more context information:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmunstege/9036837366/

The problem boils down to the different wavelength range of the the NIR band of Landsat 8. It's much narrower and applying the ndvi tools from Landsat 7 doesn't give a clear image (see the image).
I am not a remote sensing expert, but we use frequently the ndvi index to monitor the exploitation of rice schemes along the Niger river in Mali. We would love to incorporate the Landsat 8 images in our analyses (without the 'nodata scratches' of Landsat 7!)

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Huub Munstege
BPE 2836
Bamako, Rep. du Mali