[GRASS-user] v.report produces corrupt table of attributes

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Jun 16 01:29:33 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 2:23 AM, Stuart Edwards <sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi --
>
> This simple project involves digitizing and displaying the location of about
> 200 borings. There is a pair of state plane co-ordinates and an
> alpha-numeric boring designator - and of course a cat - for each of them.
> The borings were duly digitized using v.digit in GRASS 7 (OS X) and after a
> number of edits (relocations, modification of some attributes, and some
> deletions) the file displays correctly using d.vect. It has also been
> satisfactorily exported as a shapefile as part of an effort to create a
> labeled dxf CAD layer.

So, just to be sure to understand: you have digitized circular polygons?

> However, v.report creates a table that appears to randomly (unlikely, I
> know, but that's how it appears) redistribute the pairs of co-ordinates
> among the points.
>
> For example, at one boring location v.what generates:
>
> v.what -a map=Borings at PERMANENT layer=-1
> coordinates=1791366.79821,765499.232745 distance=2

The coordinate pair specified here, where does it fall into the polygon?
Onto the boundary or onto the centroid or "anywhere" within the
polygon?

> East: 1791366.79821
> North: 765499.232745
> Map: Borings
> Mapset: PERMANENT
> Type: Point       <<<----  so you have points and not polygons?
> Id: 117
> Layer: 1
> Category: 142
> Driver: sqlite
> Database: /Users/stu/grassdata/270test/PERMANENT/sqlite/sqlite.db
> Table: Borings
> Key column: cat
> cat : 142
> boringnumber : B-9-004-13

What does this print:

v.info -t Borings
?

> However, v.report gives:
>
> 142|B-9-004-13|1793470.46145773|765224.666245354|0
>
> for cat 142 which is the location of one of the other borings. Almost all of
> the borings are incorrectly identified in the v.report table. I tried
> v.build before running v.report but the results were the same.

Perhaps you could post a small map screenshot of the area of interest
along with the map scalebar put on.

Markus