[GRASS-user] HydroFlow: Stream order soleley based on shape files/vectors

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 04:58:15 PDT 2013

Hi Johannes,

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Johannes Radinger <
johannesradinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found following interesting Brasilian program called HydroFlow:
> http://www.fgel.uerj.br/labgis/hydroflow/en/downloads_ingles.html
>
> This tools calculates the Stream order (e.g. Strahler, Shreve)
> based on a shapefile input of the river network and a shapefile that
> defines
> the border (catchment?). If I am informed correctly such a tool that does
> not require any form of a DEM (or accumulation map etc.) is not existing
> for
> GRASS yet.

there is v.strahler
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/AddOns/GRASS_6#v.strahler
that calculates the Strahler order. I'm not aware of its status though, I
remember some issues reported in ML but I didn't keep myself updated.

> There are just two questions that appeared to me:
>
> 1) Has anyone installed and tried the programm already in Ubuntu/Linux?
>
> 2) The tool is licensed as open source. So, could such a algorithm also be
> implemented as
> a add-on to GRASS? I am not sure but I can imagine that this might be of
> interest also to
> other GRASS users!?

Nice idea! Did you try it yourself? How's the outcome?

cheers,
madi

> /johannes

Best regards,

Margherita DI LEO
Postdoctoral Researcher

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.