[GRASS-user] HydroFlow: Stream order soleley based on shape files/vectors

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 07:19:10 PDT 2013

1) Concerning the flow direction / network direction

So far what I can understand from the html-manual, the only two
input data is the map with the river network and a line or polygon file
the defines the catchement. The flow direction within the network
is then defined by the outflow point which is the only line of the river
that touches or intersects with the catchment border. Unfortunately,
neither I am a native Brasilian (which makes reading the manual difficult)
nor
I am able to read or understand the source code behind the model

2) Concerning the license
It is licensed under GNU GPL:
http://www.fgel.uerj.br/labgis/hydroflow/Help/helphydroflow.html?{D3EB24A2-0B1B-4CA1-B0C6-F05855A23C8D}.htm

@Madi: No unfortunately I haven't tried HydroFlow yet. I first have to
figure out how to compile it using qmake on my ubuntu machine. Concerning
v.strahler: AFAIK also this module needs a DEM to identify flow direction,
which is often not available when you have only the river vector. And of
course HydroFlow also provides other measures of stream order beside
Strahler...

I hopefully get the tool installed quite soon. I will then report how well
it is working.

/Johannes