[GRASS-user] HydroFlow: Stream order soleley based on shape files/vectors

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 17:09:14 PDT 2013

Hi,

I used the software some time ago and it worked nicely. And as Johannes
explained, the only data needed is the river network and the basin boundary.

I'll try to translate the algorithm behind the software but I'm a bit
confused by it so I could be doing a worse job then a google translator...

1) If a river segment is connected to the river network at only one point
and the segment does not touch the basin boundary, those are the first
order streams rivers and their flow direction can be defined from the
unconnected end to the connected end

2) If the endpoint of a river segment touches other segments that have
their flow directions determined and the flows converge, then:
   The flowdirection of the segment goes from the examined endpoint to the
other end;
   You can calculate the stream order by looking at the stream orders of
the segments that flow into the analyzed segment.

If the segments that touch an endpoint does not have their flowdirection
determined, then the flowdirection the analyzed endpoint cannot be
determined and that indefinition caries out throuhg the river network (fig2
in the example).
The software does not work if you have loops in your river network.

Here is the link of the manual explaining the algorithm, but it's in
portuguese
http://www.fgel.uerj.br/labgis/hydroflow/Help/helphydroflow.html

Cheers
Daniel