[GRASS-user] Which ELGIS repository for SL6 on installing "wx" components

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Fri Jun 28 12:02:39 PDT 2013

>> Why not ?
>
> Because the packages are too old for my requirements as a GRASS
> developer. I am for example using proj-4.8.0, gdal-1.10.0, geos-3.3.8
> with GRASS 7 and like the combination of a solid operating system with
> recent packages where I want recent packages.
>
> For production work, ELGIS seems fine with the exception of GRASS
> which IMHO should be upgraded to the latest stable release 6.4.2.

Actually ELGIS Testing (http://elgis.argeo.org/repos/testing/6/elgis/)
provide much more recent packages (GRASS 6.4.2 among them) and is as
stable (maybe even better quality...) than ELGIS Stable.

See package matrix here :
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Enterprise_Linux_GIS#Packages_matrix

There has been a big switch over the last few months since we now use
a fork of the Fedora/EPEL git repositories, in order to better
integrate with their efforts.

ELGIS Stable hasn't yet be replaced, simply because I have migrated
only the "core" packages (geos, GDAL, GRASS, PostGIS, MapServer, QGIS)
and not the secondary ones yet.

I must admit that I could not find enough time to keep the appropriate
level of quality and updates lately, since my company has become less
focused on GIS than it was two or three years ago (the main driver for
creating ELGIS back then).

Hopefully I will be able to finalize this switch properly over the summer.
I will then focus on getting other people involved in actually
packaging and building the packages, so that I'm not a bottleneck
anymore.

I'll let it know on various lists (GRASS among them, of course) when
we are back on track, because our mission statement is (was...)
precisely what you need: latest free GIS software on a stable basis.

Cheers,

Mathieu

PS: My company and myself are still committed to host the ELGIS builds
and repositories in the foreseeable future. We have resources
allocated for that, just too little with regard to my time.