[GRASS-user] preserving original resolution with r.in.gdal

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Thu Mar 7 09:45:35 PST 2013

On Thursday 07 of March 2013 12:08:48 Jitendra Kumar wrote:
> Hello GRASS-Users:

Hello Jitu!

> While importing a raster map using "r.in.gdal" it uses the resolution of
> the current region for the resulting raster map.

Are you sure?  What does r.info say about the imported map?  Out of the top of
my head, I don't think that the current region settings affect a maps extent
and resolution while importing.  They shouldn't.

> Is there a way to preserve the original resolution of the raster while
> importing it in irrespective of the settings of the current region.

> I can check the resolution of the raster to be imported using "gdalinfo",
> set my current region appropriately and then import it using "r.in.gdal".

I guess there is no need to do so.

> But I was wondering if there's a easier way to tell the import routine to
> preserve the original resolution. Same question applies while reprojecting
> a raster using "r.proj".

r.proj is another beast -- there you can either depend on the current region
settings (in the Location/Mapset where you are reprojecting raster data to) or
use the "res=" parameter provided by the r.proj module.

Best, Nikos