[GRASS-user] ps.map: rectangle over map border?

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Tue Mar 12 13:21:11 PDT 2013

Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> Reading the following, I think you do.

> > perhaps you can have a look at the output ps file. If it's only a matter
> > of display order, you can rearrange successive instructions within the
> > file in order to have your background laying over the border.

Hey Vincent, very true -- thank you!  Can this be "picked-up" by ps.map?

> FWIW, I tried that in the ps.map script itself, i.e., first the border and
> then the rectangle.  Doesn't this affect the display order?  Will try later
> to edit the ps file.

I created two ps.map scripts: one containing a border and a rectangle, another
structurally identical, though with border's line- and the rectangle's fill-
colors changed.

Comparing with  meld  the two PSes shows where the (color) differences are.
This info along with the *beautifully* explained PS instructions, showed the
way ;-)

I just needed to change the very last part of the PS, from:

--%<---
grestore  NP
 399.7 478.2 M 706.7 478.2 LN
 706.7 135.2 LN 399.7 135.2 LN
 CP
0.000 1.000 0.000 C
0.502 0.502 0.502 C
0.10000000 W
0.000 0.000 1.000 C
0.72000000 W
36.5 72.5 507.8 522.8 B D
showpage
--->%--

--%<---
grestore
0.000 0.000 1.000 C
0.72000000 W
36.5 72.5 507.8 522.8 B D
NP
 399.7 478.2 M 706.7 478.2 LN
 706.7 135.2 LN 399.7 135.2 LN
 CP
0.000 1.000 0.000 C
0.502 0.502 0.502 C
0.10000000 W
showpage
--->%--

And it works!  With the modified instructions, the green-filled rectangle is
drawn on-top of the blue-line-colored border. Just for the records, the test-
pieces following.

The first one grey-line, black-box:

--%<---
# paper size
paper a4
  end

# border around map?
border
  color grey
  width 0.01i
  end

# background for the color-table?
rectangle 77% 90% 142% 14%
 	fcolor 0:0:0
 	color grey
 	width 0.1
 	end

end
--->%--

Blue line, green fill:

--%<---
# paper size
paper a4
  end

# border around map?
border
  color blue
  width 0.01i
  end

# raster map
# raster forest_fuel_classes
# scale 1:5000000
# maploc 0.5 0.5
# text 50% 115% ArcFUEL Forest Fuel Classes, Greece
#    fontsize 20
#    ref center
#    end
# header