[GRASS-user] i.landsat.toar problem: Failed to identify satellite

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Wed Mar 20 11:25:58 PDT 2013

Michael Treglia wrote:
> Hi All,

Hi Mike,

> I'm new to GRASS GIS, but have generally been successful in what I'm trying
> to do. One problem I've come upon is using a metadata file for the
> i.landsat.toar command. For one particular set of imagery I am working
> with, I get an error: "ERROR: Failed to identify satellite"

If I may ask, which Landsat products do you use? TM5 or ETM+ 7 (pre- or
post-2003 for the latter)?

> My immediate solution for now was to take metadata that was formatted a bit
> differently from an image that I downloaded a while back, and replace
> appropriate fields. But, as I download new Landsat images, that is
> cumbersome...

No need to do so.

> I am working on GRASS 6.4.3RC2, which I just downloaded from the main
> website in the last couple of weeks.

There were some issues but they are all fixed as far as I can tell (thanks to
Jorge Tizado).  I have tested myself the most recent versions of
i.landsat.toar (under Linux, for grass64 and grass70) and they work(ed) with
both the old and the new metadata files that come along with the Landsat bands.

> I saw this e-mail thread, which makes it seem like this problem should have
> been solved:
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2012-December/066558.html
> Do I need to somehow install the new version of the i.landsat.toar command?

I guess so.

> My computer is running Windows 7 64bit.

So the actual question, if I don't miss anything, is:  how to get the most
recent version of i.landsat.toar compiled and running for Windows (7, 64-bit)?

Here are "latest" binaries provided by Martin Landa:
<http://wingrass.fsv.cvut.cz/grass64/>.  This should be sufficient.

If not, here is a pointer to compile all the stuff from scratch (although I
haven't compiled GRASS for Windows so far):
<http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/CompileOnWindows>.

Note, you can get the latest SVN source code version -- it's described in the
sub-section:  "GRASS 6.4.svn (releasebranch_64)".

Hope this helps you.  If it is too much for you (compiling the staff from
scratch) then maybe someone has already done that and can assist?

Best, Nikos