[GRASS-user] How to: Symbology in maps using NVIZ?

Gregory Penn gregory.penn at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 09:42:55 PDT 2013

Dear GRASS list,

I'm a new GRASS user and I'm trying to create a 3d map using NVIZ from the
GRASS command line. The map contains a number of vector layers, as well as
a single raster that I'm using for the elevation model. So far I have been
able to create a 3d surface from the raster, overlaid with lines from a
vector file using the syntax:

nviz elevation=raster_filename vector=vector_filename

For the next step, I'd like to apply symbology to the vector layer.
Specifically, I want to fill polygons with a specified color (high
priority), set layer-specific transparency (low priority), etc . . .. I
haven't been able to figure out how to do that, or even whether it's
possible. I'm considering another way to accomplish this, by simply
creating a 2d version of the map with the desired symbology in QGIS,
exporting that as a raster, then using that file with the `color` parameter
to nviz. That solution does not seem optimal, however.

Eventually I'm working to use NVIZ to animate changes in the elevation
surface as a time-series, but for now I'll be happy if I can get individual
images with the desired look.

I'll welcome any advice, suggestions, tips, direction to apropos
documentation, etc...

Thanks,

Gregory

P.s.

In case it's relevant, here's some system/software info;

Mac OS 10.8.3

GRASS 6.4.2 (binary installation from William Kyngesburye)

All required frameworks also installed via Kyngesburye's binaries