[GRASS-user] r.sim.water (compiling) issue

Levente Juhász jlevente89 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 01:31:45 PDT 2013

Hi list,

I am Levente from Hungary and i want to use GRASS GIS for a project. I'm
working on a website that can do a hydrological modeling task via WPS
protocol. I started to develop it in a windows environment but the module i
want to use (r.sim.water) had some issues on WinGrass. I've recently
changed my system to ubuntu 12.10. Altough I'm not dealing with linux and
GRASS GIS for a long time I understands the basics of them.
I have downloaded and compiled a GRASS70 svn from ubuntugis (this exactly:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-testing/+sourcepub/3015769/+listing-archive-extra).
After compiling I can see an error log like this:
GRASS GIS compilation log
-------------------------
Started compilation: 2013. márc. 27., szerda, 01.00.29 CET
--
Errors in:
/home/pepszi/grass70.7.0.orig/raster/simwe/r.sim.water

I can start grass70 but when i try to open the r.sim.water dialog i get the
following error (something similar comes up if i try to use the command
line)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/grass-7.0.svn/etc/gui/wxpython/gui_core/p
rompt.py", line 271, in OnItemSelected

self.cmdDesc = gtask.parse_interface(GetRealCmd(cmd))
  File
"/usr/local/grass-7.0.svn/etc/python/grass/script/task.py",
line 484, in parse_interface

tree = etree.fromstring(get_interface_description(name))
  File
"/usr/local/grass-7.0.svn/etc/python/grass/script/task.py",
line 461, in get_interface_description

"\n\nDetails: %(det)s") % { 'cmd' : cmd, 'det' :
decode(cmderr) }
grass.script.core
.
ScriptError
:
Unable to fetch interface description for command
'r.sim.water'.
Details: r.sim.water: error while loading shared libraries:
libgrass_sim.7.0.svn.so: cannot map zero-fill pages: Cannot
allocate memory

I'm a little bit confused and i don't know what causes this error. I know
that this is an experimental version of GRASS but I still hope that somehow
it can be worked out. Would it be a solution if somehow I compile a working
version of r.sim.water source? If so, where can I find it and how can I
make it work? I also thought about changing to another grass70 svn
(preferably to such a version where r.sim.water works :) ). Anyone has
experiances with one of the grass70svns and r.sim.water? I would be very
thankful if someone can suggest me a "working one".

p.s.: I checked the stable Grass 6.4.2. which comes from the ubuntu
software center and it produces similar issues. Is it an issue which has
something to do with my system? What should I do?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance:

Levente Juhasz