[GRASS-user] Processing LiDAR data in GRASS GIS

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri May 3 04:18:36 PDT 2013

jr.morreale wrote:
> Then what would be the limit for grass7 with 4gb of ram, no
> topology/database ? Can it handle billions of points ?

I don't really know to be honest. Try the experimental approach
and keep an eye on `top`, and let us know the results. :) See the
grass wiki FAQ for a hint on adding temporary swap space on Linux
if you need it.

r.in.xyz can handle many billions of points without trouble for
non-exotic statistical aggregations; memory use there is more a
matter of raster region size and you can do multi-pass if memory
is an issue on a really really huge region.

Hamish