[GRASS-user] Processing LiDAR data in GRASS GIS

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Fri May 3 04:21:32 PDT 2013

On 05/03/2013 01:18 PM, Hamish wrote:
> jr.morreale wrote:
>> Then what would be the limit for grass7 with 4gb of ram, no
>> topology/database ? Can it handle billions of points ?

In my experience, it can (even GRASS 6), if:

a) you rasterize the input data directly (r.in.xyz,
as suggested by Hamish).

b) your file system supports files > 4GB (which really
just about anything except a VFAT formatted USB drive
should these days)

and

c) (in case you want to export the results for use
with another GIS) your GDAL has a GeoTIFF driver
that has 64 bit BigTIFF support enabled.

To save storage space, use single precision
floating point data if you can.

Best,

Ben