[GRASS-user] Query: number of 'areas' reported in v.build output does not necessarily represent different geographical areas

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Wed May 8 23:13:56 PDT 2013

Nikos Alexandris wrote:
..
> My post's target was the (as Markus Metz wrote:) "suggestion of a reasonable
> (assuming floating point rounding errors) threshold for snapping".
>
> I'd like to have a confirmation that, given that an error message/suggestion
> appears still after using a snapping distance of 1e-14, it means that the
> imported vector map couldn't automatically be topologically cleaned and
> needs some manual handling.

I should also add that, in the beginning, I tried to import the "mangroves"
map with the snap option set to 1e-8 (as elsewhere suggested by Markus Metz).
Only after getting the "error/suggestion" message in question, I increased to
the maximum (possible?) of 1e-14 (and, as I already wrote, actually I
mistakenly defined 1e-15 which I guess does not hurt).

Nikos