[GRASS-user] Horizon based voxel interpolation for GRASS

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Fri May 10 14:24:21 PDT 2013

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your willingness to contribute to
GRASS GIS via this year's GSoC.

I am assuming that you want to plan your work
along the lines of this implementation:

http://chl.erdc.usace.army.mil/chl.aspx?p=s&a=ARTICLES;41&g=50

In that case, you will need to deal with
3D points as input data. Each point should
represent the lower boundary of a soil
horizon as detected in the sample (core)
to which the point belongs.

The output will be a 3D raster layer,
possibly 2D interpolated surfaces as
intermediate data.

But we will also need to think about cross-sections,
which can be added to the input data to improve
the interpolation.

Btw., there is a similar implementation here:

http://umweltgeologie.geologie.uni-halle.de/downloads/

(see "INVIS" and "HYVIS").

It's done in Visual Basic and for ArcGIS 9,
but nevertheless, some useful things might
be learned from it (it's GPL too and comes
with full scource code).

Best,

Ben