[GRASS-user] g.extension and spotty access to svn.osgeo.org

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed May 22 16:55:48 PDT 2013

Brian wrote:
> I'm trying to use g.extension to install some add-ons (one
> of which I recently contributed), but the download fails at
> some times/on some machines.  Just today, I was able to
> download a particular extension on my Mac,

so g.extension was working for you? is it GRASS 6.4.2? we've
been looking for feedback on that; which way of calling
g.extension? from the Terminal command line or from the wxGUI
menu?  see  https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/854

> ...  Here is a typical error:
> > Fetching <r.findtheriver> from GRASS-Addons SVN (be patient)...
> > svn: OPTIONS of 'http://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/grass6/raster/r.findtheriver':
> > could not connect to server (http://svn.osgeo.org)
> > ERROR: GRASS Add-on r.findtheriver not found in
> repository or no network connection or another problem

Hi, yes it was a known problem yesterday with the server,
MarkusN restarted Apache, hopefully it helps. If not we may
need to reboot it.

> I also frequently experience long delays loading the GRASS
> homepage (http://grass.osgeo.org) in a web browser.
> Has anyone else experienced network connectivity problems to
> machines on the osgeo.org domain?

Unfortunately the osgeo servers are a little bit streched
these days, a victim of their own sucess. For me 0700 GMT +/-
1 hour is often bad, so if it is slow then I just go do
something else for a while and try again later.

Yesterday was unusual though, I have for the first time seen
temporary "unable to connect to server" in the last week or
two, but usually it isn't that bad.

regards,
Hamish