[GRASS-user] GRASS Android apps

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 07:33:17 PST 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Nikos Alexandris
<nik at nikosalexandris.net>wrote:

>  Nikos wrote:
>

> > > Hamish, what's the potential in running GRASS under SailfishOS,
>
> > > the new upcoming and more open OS? https://sailfishos.org/
>

> Hamish:
>
>  > I'm not really sure, their FAQ isn't very clear about what's what.
> Since it
>
> > seems to use Wayland, either Wx for Wayland, X11 for Wayland, or
>
> > command-line only mode would be needed, + enough of the GNU build
>
> > toolchain.

wxWidgets work, at least basically, with non-X11 GTK/GDK backends. wxPython
does not (yet).

> Excerpt from twitter:
>

> --%<---
>
> @NikAlexandris:
>
> @JollaHQ Who can confirm/where is information regarding the possibility to
> run #grassgis (http://t.co/OV5tyS27gC) under #sailfishOS?
>
> 02:26 PM - 14 Nov 13
>

> Jolla @JollaHQ
>
> @NikAlexandris If you can make it run on Linux with Qt UI, why not.
>
> 02:28 PM - 14 Nov 13
>
> --->%--

This is of course unrealistic. There is wxQt but not sure if this was ever
used. Then you can rewrite wxGUI in the way that you can add Qt widgets but
the is work for years. However, you can use QGIS (for example there is QGIS
for Andrioid) and make the connection between QGIS and GRASS working.

Vaclav