[GRASS-user] ordering points along a line

Carlos Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 10:39:28 PST 2013

Hi there

I've been looking into this, but not sure about the best way to do it:

I have a set of points that lie over a line (the line is a river course and
points are intersections with contour lines). I want to order the points
'downstream', so I can make a long profile of the river (just sampling
elevations from a DEM at line nodes gives too much noise, some papers
suggest contours intersections work better).

Question is: how? After some searching I found the Network Analysis of
QGIS, but still not sure if that's the best approach. The river is very
meandering, so nearest neighbour won't work because the nearest node might
not be the next one downstream

I'm open to suggestions

thanks

Carlos

--
Prof. Carlos Henrique Grohmann
Institute of Geosciences - Univ. of São Paulo, Brazil

http://carlosgrohmann.com
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5073-5572