[GRASS-user] problems with using GRASS 7 on windows 7

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 07:26:57 PDT 2013

Hi,

sorry for the inconvenience, please read bellow:

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Eleftheria Paliou <
eleftheria_paliou at yahoo.gr> wrote:

> Hi,
> I installed GRASS 7
> (WinGRASS-7.0.svn-r57740-711 )on Windows 7 afew days ago and I am
> experiencing some problems with using the software. I hope someone in the
> list can help me solve some of the problems.
> One problem is that I cannot run succesfully python scripts that make use
> of a scripted graphical interface
> ( scripts with no arguments seem to work
> fine) and this applies to all scripts, also those found in GRASS 7 website
> and the grass
> 7 scripts folder (although I have to add I only tried to run a couple of
> "simple" scripts
> with few required arguments):
>
> To give you an example:
> When I try to run r.rgb.py through file-> launch script I get following
> error message:
>
> Launching script 'C:\GRASS7\GRASS7.svn\scripts\r.rgb.py'...
> Exception in thread Thread-24:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\GRASS7\GRASS7.svn\Python27\lib\threading.py",
> line 810, in __bootstrap_inner
>     self.run()
>   File
> "C:\GRASS7\GRASS7.svn\etc\gui\wxpython\core\gconsole.py",
> line 153, in run
>     self.resultQ.put((requestId, self.requestCmd.run()))
>   File "C:\GRASS7\GRASS7.svn\etc\gui\wxpython\core\gcmd.py",
> line 552, in run
>     env = self.env)
>   File "C:\GRASS7\GRASS7.svn\etc\gui\wxpython\core\gcmd.py",
> line 172, in __init__
>     subprocess.Popen.__init__(self, args, **kwargs)
>   File "C:\GRASS7\GRASS7.svn\Python27\lib\subprocess.py",
> line 711, in __init__
>     errread, errwrite)
>   File "C:\GRASS7\GRASS7.svn\Python27\lib\subprocess.py",
> line 948, in _execute_child
>     startupinfo)
> TypeError: environment can only contain strings

I am not sure what's causing this and I couldn't reproduce it.

> When I try the same script through the command line I get this message:
> syntax error, unexpected '@', expecting '('
> Parse error
> ERROR: parse error
> ERROR: An error occurred while running r.mapcalc

I hopefully fixed this bug so you should be able to run it now.

> Nonetheless, when I give an output_prefix (which is optional) the script
> runs.  Other scripts, for
> example, r.out.xyz.py gives "a cannot find output error" or simply does
> not produce output
> (even when I give a name for the output which in any case is optional and
> should not make
> any difference unless I am missing something).

Again, should be fixed now. You have to install new version from tomorrow
where the changes will be applied.

> The other problem I have is also with the v.db.addcolumn  and
> v.db.dropcolumn column commands which work when I run them from the command
> line, but not when I use a command through python shell
> e.g. grass.run_command ("v.db.addcolumn", map="sites",
> columns="new_column"). These commands also don't work through the Grass
> GUI, e.g. through Manage tables. For example when I choose drop selected
> column, I get a warning message that the coulumn will be deleted, but in
> the end it is not removed from the table.

This is most probably caused by the different Python versions installed
(MAXREPEAT problem as previously discussed on mailing list). Typically
occurs when ArcGIS (not sure about version) is installed. This affects
running python scripts from other python scripts or gui, but it's not
solved yet unfortunately.

Regards,

Anna