[GRASS-user] Selecting entries in a vector map

Christopher Schroeder christopher at boozecarriage.com
Fri Oct 25 11:37:14 PDT 2013

I am new to grass, but not GIS (I was trained in ArcGIS in collage a year
or so ago.)  I feel like what I am trying to do is simple, yet I am not
having any luck.
I have two vector maps, one of zipcodes in New York State, and one of New
York counties.  The goal is to have a map of New York City by zipcode.  I
was going to select the New York City counties that are NYC (the fine folks
at the NYS gis repository already have this as a category in the County
file.)   Unfortunately, I cannot get past the first step.  Trying to use
the SQL query from the "GIS Attribute Table Manager" causes GRASS to crash
(I'm using windows GRASS.)   Using the selection option from d.vect causes
it to display nothing.  I'm not certain about the proper syntax for the SQL
query, but I have tried all the obvious options. the field is called NYS
and is Y/N.  So as far as I can tell, the SQL query should be something
like NYS = Y or NYS = "Y"
Do I need to install SQL under windows to have the SQL queries work? It
doesn't look like it as far as I can tell from the documentation.  am I
missing something with the SQL query? Is this a known bug?

Thanks for your Help,
Christopher