[GRASS-user] GRASS and libgeos 3.1.1/3.3.3

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 3 14:29:48 PDT 2013

[g.region failing on ubuntu 13.04 causing main startup to fail]

Gary wrote:

>T hanks Hamish,
>
> grass-core:
> installed 6.4.2-2bui l ch
> candicate 6.4.2-2bui l ch
> version table:
> *** 6.4.2-2bui I ch
>
> libgeos-dev:
> installed 3.3.3-1.1
> candicate 3.3.3-1.1
> version table:
> *** 3.3.3-1.1 0
>
> I installed grass through synaptic on Ubuntu (with R and other associated
> programs)

That is strange, 6.4.2-2build1 doesn't depend on GEOS.

("apt-cache show grass-core" and look at the Depends line)

What version of GDAL are you using? Is that from the standard ubuntu repositories?
No PPAs in your list of software sources?

I see g.region only depends on PROJ.4 though, not GDAL..
(what version of the libproj is installed?)

> Could I remove libgeos and simply install version 3.1.1? Or could I
> reinstall GRASS (whilst keeping all my mapsets?)

As far as I can tell a 3.1.1 package doesn't exist.

here are the reverse package dependencies, anything look familiar?

$ apt-cache rdepends libgeos-3.3.3
libgeos-3.3.3
Reverse Depends:
  libgeos-3.3.3:i386