[GRASS-user] Tessellation of a set of polygons

Thomas Leduc thomas.leduc at cerma.archi.fr
Mon Sep 9 07:23:15 PDT 2013

Dear Moritz,

Thanks a lot for your quick answer and sorry for my own "latency". Yes,
indeed, the Medial Axis Transform (or Skeleton) of Polygons dataset can be
computed via the Voronoi diagram of the corresponding set of points
(discretizing the polygons boundaries). However, I assume that this is not
a scalable solution with a huge set of polygons (insofar as the v.to.points
resolution has to be of enough fine grain). I was thinking to a
morphological thinning based solution... Maybe I'm wrong.

With GRASS GIS 6.4.0+42329, and the enclosed (small) dataset, the
tessel.shp output file does not match expectations. Could you please tell
me where I'm wrong?

g.remove vect=buildings,newbuildings,vor,tessel
 v.in.ogr dsn=/tmp/src/src.shp output=buildings
g.region vect=buildings

v.category input=buildings output=newbuildings option=add type=boundary
v.out.ogr input=newbuildings type=boundary dsn=/tmp/src olayer=build
layer=1 format=ESRI_Shapefile

v.to.points -i --overwrite input=newbuildings output=newbuildings_pts
dmax=0.1
v.out.ogr input=newbuildings_pts type=point dsn=/tmp/src olayer=pts layer=1
format=ESRI_Shapefile
 v.voronoi -l --overwrite input=newbuildings_pts output=vor
v.out.ogr input=vor type=line dsn=/tmp/src olayer=vor layer=1
format=ESRI_Shapefile

v.dissolve input=vor output=tessel

v.out.ogr input=tessel type=line dsn=/tmp/src olayer=tessel layer=1
format=ESRI_Shapefile

Thanks a lot once again for your help.

Thomas Leduc

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be