[GRASS-user] DEM creation from aerial photography

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at mapforge.com.au
Mon Sep 9 19:45:17 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 15:08 +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at mapforge.com.au> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > If all I've got is raw (ie, unrectified) aerial photography & sufficient
> > ground control points, what is the process for creating a DEM (assuming
> > it's possible with GRASS)?  I've not been able to find any documentation
> > apart from orthorectification using an existing DEM.
>
> You can find something in the Wiki
>
> http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Stereoscopic_analysis#GRASS_5
>
> There is an old software "stereo" which seems to offer this, see links there.
> It would be great to get this functionality into GRASS 7.
>
> Markus

Thanks Markus,

For now this capability seems to be 'missing'.  Once again I'm
left wishing I was a competent c/c++ programmer (wip...).

In any event, I suspect this approach has been mostly (?) superseded by
'Structure from Motion' type modelling which I'm also playing with- was
just hoping to be able to add 'traditional' photogrammetric  modelling
to my toolkit and be able to do a comparison between the two).

Regards,
Tim Bowden