[GRASS-user] importing a adf file - resolution question

Kirk Wythers kirk.wythers at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 09:57:04 PDT 2013

I just used r.in.gdal to import a .adf. The files came from the global aridity and pet database hosted by CGIAR CSI

http://www.cgiar-csi.org/data/global-aridity-and-pet-database

Originally I was getting the warning:
WARNING: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North

so I used the -l option. The file appears to have imported

GRASS 6.4.3 (globe_30s):~ > r.in.gdal -l in=~/projects/global_aridity/AI_annual/ai_yr/w001001.adf out=ai
WARNING: Map bounds have been constrained to geographic coordinates. You
         will almost certainly want to check map bounds and resolution with
         r.info and reset them with r.region before going any further.
Projection of input dataset and current location appear to match
 100%
r.in.gdal complete. Raster map <ai> created.

I am trying to check the layer with r.info and I see that the resolution looks odd (N looks correct, should be 30 second, but E looks weird):

GRASS 6.4.3 (globe_30s):~ > r.info ai
 | Layer:    ai                             Date: Tue Sep 24 11:06:02 2013    |
 | Mapset:   global_aridity_pet             Login of Creator: kirkw           |
 | Location: globe_30s                                                        |
 | DataBase: /Volumes/disk1/home1/kirkw/grassdata                             |
 | Title:     ( ai )                                                          |
 | Timestamp: none                                                            |
 |   Type of Map:  raster               Number of Categories: 733928          |
 |   Data Type:    CELL                                                       |
 |   Rows:         18000                                                      |
 |   Columns:      43200                                                      |
 |   Total Cells:  777600000                                                  |
 |        Projection: Latitude-Longitude                                      |
 |            N:        90N    S:        60S   Res: 0:00:30                   |
 |            E: 179:59:59.932408W    W:       180W   Res: 0:00:00.000002     |
 |   Range of data:    min = 0  max = 733928                                  |
 |   Data Description:                                                        |
 |    generated by r.in.gdal                                                  |
 |   Comments:                                                                |
 |    r.in.gdal -l input="/Volumes/disk1/home1/kirkw/projects/global_aridi\   |
 |    ty/AI_annual/ai_yr/w001001.adf" output="ai"                             |

I'm not sure what to do with this? Any suggestions would be most appreciated!