[GRASS-user] Local Relief Model tool

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 06:31:16 PDT 2013

To answer Hamish's questions, here are some images (DEM+LRMs) of a smaller
region in nc_spm. The idea is really to remove the overall main terrain
features while small local differences are preserved.

For getting of the smooth terrain, random points and v.surf.rst or
v.surf.bspline are probably good alternative. I had no chance to test
various alternatives yet. I just tried smoothing + contours + r.fillnulls
module and it worked so I staid with it.

The contours related (contour->dem) modules cannot be used since the
contours are actually not contours of the elevation but of the first
approximation of LRM. Than the values of elevation are assigned to the
points/cells of contours.

As for the script installation, it would be nice to have direct
installation form github.com, but this is really a grass-dev topic.

Vaclav