[GRASS-user] calculation valley floor width in GRASS or some index indicating valley floor width?

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Tue Apr 1 01:33:18 PDT 2014

Hi Stefan,

thanks your response.

>If you think of valleys in a hydrological perspective I would have a look
at r.stream. modules for having a kind of threshold above streams (in m),
and then use r.grow.distance for an inverted valley representation.

>If you think of valleys in a geomorphometric context things might be a bit
more complex (esp. for U-valleys, compared to V-valleys).

it's maybe a mixing of both... ;-)

given is a habitat typical for gravel beds/braided river in mountain
regions. it seems the probability of the occurrence of the needed habitat
structure is greater in wider valleys floors than in narrow valley floors,
and greater in U-valleys than in V-valleys.

the idea is to get some measure/index to handle this probability ...

-----
best regards
Helmut