[GRASS-user] calculation valley floor width in GRASS or some index indicating valley floor width?

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Tue Apr 1 02:20:13 PDT 2014

Hei Helumt,

In that case I would probably try r.param.scale in order to identify flat areas at maybe different scale levels.

V-valleys have a higher variation in aspect at the bottom (sides are almost facing each other and nearly "meet" at the lowest point in a V-valley). While sides are more or less steep. So slope and aspect at a coarser level (also available through r.param.scale) could help to distinguish V- and U-valleys.

Depending on scale U-Valleys have a TPI of ~0 at the bottom and ~0 at the middle of the sides (equaly much terrain above and below a focal cell in the given neighborhood).

Some background material on TPI can be found here: http://www.jennessent.com/arcview/tpi.htm
Jenness used ArcView. Yet TPI is a simple combination of r.neighbors and a mapcalc.

Good luck with your modelling.

Cheers,
Stefan