[GRASS-user] how to make radiometric correction of Aster level 1A image in GRASS GIS

Rengifo Ortega rengifoo at yahoo.de
Sun Aug 3 13:00:52 PDT 2014

Dear
Nikos first of all,
 thanks
a lot for your quick response !. I guess I  will have to install
grass70.

>Rengifo
Ortega:
> I have a ASTL1A image (HDF4), which I intend to use
to generate a DEM using the stereo pipeline, called AMES (NASA
software).

(<http://byss.arc.nasa.gov/stereopipeline/binaries/asp_book-2.4.1.pdf>,

>Chapter 4, page 37).

 Sofar
I understand  Aster Level 1B imagery is just  a derivative
from Aster Level 1A  imagery. See link below.
 http://spatial-analyst.net/ILWIS/htm/ilwismen/import_aster_technical_information.htm

"The
level 1A raw data are reconstructed, unprocessed instrument digital
counts. This product contains image data with geometric correction
coefficients and radiometric calibration coefficients appended but
not applied [...] "

 "The
level 1B product contains radiometrically calibrated and
geometrically coregistered data for all channels. This product is
created by applying the radiometric and geometric coefficients to the
level 1A data [...]"

 So,
I thought, If I can make the radiometric correction in GRASS GIS
and eventually the geometrical correction, I would be able to use
this image in AMES as if it was a ASTL1B imagery. Please, correct me
if I am being to optimistic and understimate the work load of doing
so ...:-(

After
all, the information needed to do this can be found in the metadata
file (.met) attached to the ASTL1A image.
 Greetings
Rengifo Ortega

Nikos Alexandris <nik at nikosalexandris.net> schrieb am 20:24 Sonntag, 3.August 2014:

Rengifo Ortega:
> I have a ASTL1A image (HDF4), which I intend to use to generate a DEM using the stereo pipeline, called AMES (NASA software).

Note, also, the manual states clearly:

  "ASP can only pro cess Level 1B satellite imagery"
  (<http://byss.arc.nasa.gov/stereopipeline/binaries/asp_book-2.4.1.pdf>,
  Chapter 4, page 37).

Nikos