[GRASS-user] how to make radiometric correction of Aster level 1A image in GRASS GIS

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Tue Aug 5 05:45:21 PDT 2014

Hi!  Please keep discussion on-list.

Rengifo Ortega wrote:

> Dear Nikos first of all,
> thanks a lot for your quick response !. I guess I  will have to
> install grass70.

It has a lot of improvements and new tools over the 6.4.x series.

> I have a ASTL1A image (HDF4), which I intend to use
> to generate a DEM using the stereo pipeline, called AMES (NASA
> software).

Nikos:

>>Note, also, the manual states clearly:
>>"ASP can only pro cess Level 1B satellite imagery"
>>
>> (<http://byss.arc.nasa.gov/stereopipeline/binaries/asp_book-2.4.1.pdf>,
>>Chapter 4, page 37).

> Sofar
> I understand  Aster Level 1B imagery is just  a derivative
> from Aster Level 1A  imagery.

Yes

> See link below.
>
> http://spatial-analyst.net/ILWIS/htm/ilwismen/import_aster_technical_information.htm
  [..]

Here an official source:
<https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/products/aster_products_table>.

> So,
> I thought, If I can make the radiometric correction in GRASS GIS
> and eventually the geometrical correction, I would be able to use
> this image in AMES as if it was a ASTL1B imagery. Please, correct me
> if I am being to optimistic and understimate the work load of doing
> so ...:-(

Roughly, yes, this is it.

> After
> all, the information needed to do this can be found in the metadata
> file (.met) attached to the ASTL1A image.
> Greetings
> Rengifo Ortega

However, there is some work to do there, especially if you plan to
repeat the process for various ASTER acquisitions.  Can't you just trace
the L1B products for the acquisition in question?

Nikos

ps- I recall now that I have seen ASP version 2.2.2 at some point last
year, when I also created the respective question in GIS.SE.  No free
time back then, as well as zero results while searching for the "ASTER"
string in the ASP's manual(s), left me with just an unanswered question.
I have downloaded ASP now again (latest binary version), but still,
there is no ASTER related info/example. The "stereo" tool, requires
special instructions for the processing for each sensor/data source.
Need to investigate more. I'll ask in the stereo pipeline mailing list.