[GRASS-user] r.horizon distance units

Tyler Smith tyler at plantarum.ca
Mon Aug 11 12:10:21 PDT 2014

Hello,

I'm having some trouble with r.horizon. I've got a very big DEM, and I
keep running out of memory. After some experiments, I think the options
bufferzone and maxdistance may be part of the problem. It isn't listed
in the help file what the units for these are.

I'm preparing maps for use in r.sun, and the example in the r.horizon
help page suggests I use bufferzone=200 and maxdistance=2000. Does this
mean meters? units from the map projection (which are degrees)? Omitting
these parameters I can complete an analysis in a minute or so, when
including them produces a crash sometime after the process consumes all
my RAM and swap memory.

Thanks for any clarifications!

--
  Tyler Smith