[GRASS-user] workflow for Importing DXF Wind Turbines onto Map in Grass 6.4.4

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Aug 15 05:16:29 PDT 2014

Hi Paul,

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Paul Shapley <p.shapley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>

> I have imported a single wind turbine (dxf) into grass with v.in.dxf
> successfully. I need to position it on a map but do not know where to start.
>
> From the grasswiki pages

For the others:
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Help_with_3D#Vector_3D_lines

> it says it is best to use XY location

I have taken liberty to strike through that sentence as it is rather unhelpful.

> but how do
> you assign known location co-ordinates to the base of a wind turbine
> (without a copy of AutoCAD). I would also need to add many more wind
> turbines onto the same map.Do i need to use v.proj/v.transform or v.rectify?

I would actually import the DXF file into your projected location and
then use v.transform to get it into the right place within that
location (no big deal to calculate the scale factors etc).

> I might also need to set the height of the turbine but again not sure which
> is the best action.

Also here: if you stay in your standard location (perhaps avoid
LatLong here), it becomes easy.

> There is a lack of clear guidance which is why i would like to resolve the
> issue and put out a tutorial for any other UK users.

Please let us know how it goes. Such a tutorial might be even
interesting to non-UK users :-)

Markus