[GRASS-user] GRASS 7.0.0

Hamish hamish.webmail at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 13:47:03 PDT 2014

Rengifo wrote:
> recently I installed GRASS 7.0.0 on ubuntu 14.04 (32 bits). When I
> tried to open  by typing  grass70 command I get the  following error
> message: python: can't open file
> '/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/gis_set.py': [Errno 2] No such file or
> directory Received EXIT message from GUI. GRASS is not started.

Hi,

since you are using Ubuntu 14.04 I might recommend this script to
install the GRASS 7.0nightly package and sample dataset:

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/install_grass7.sh

Some minor adjustments would be needed, but if you follow it line
by line, set your account name, and ignore the "Desktop GIS" directory
stuff I think it will be ok. It puts the data in /usr/local/share/grass,
you may wish to just put it in your home directory.

It sets things up so that you can run in parallel with GRASS 6.4
packages, i.e. have both versions installed at the same time. (GRASS
6.4.4 is now available for 14.04 in the UbuntuGIS ppa)

One thing currently broken in there is the wxGUI's parsing of g.version
output, so the splash screen comes back as "Version ?", but that's just
cosmetic.

regards,
Hamish