[GRASS-user] Question about Elevation Maps and Shaded Relief Maps

Hamish hamish.webmail at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 16:24:11 PDT 2014

Ben wrote:
> I have created an elevation map and a shaded relief map for the same
> area. I know there is a way that they can both be viewed
> simultaneously so that you can see the elevations (as indicated by
> color) and the shaded relief at the same time.  Currently I am only
> able to view one at a time depending on which map is on top of the
> other.  How can I change that so that I can see both maps at the same
> time?

Using GRASS 6 and Xmonitors (d.mon), you can use the d.shadedmap
module, which is actually a wrapper for d.his. See the help page for
details on using the brightness option and an example.

For 3D, in NVIZ do:  nviz elev=dem color=overlay

In the wxGUI you can put the overlay map on top and then change its
opacity, right click on the map in the layer manager and select "change
opacity level", then move the slider somewhere in the middle 50%.

Hamish