[GRASS-user] problem to install grass70 on ubuntu 12.04

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Aug 27 14:11:03 PDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:23 PM, Alex Mandel
<tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
> libgdal1h does not exist in stock Ubuntu 12.04 but does in 14.04
> It was a name change introduced in Debian/UbuntuGIS to deal with some
> libtiff build issue.
>
> In order for the package to work it needs to say libgdal1 || libgdal1h
> (basically OR).
>
> Quick workaround is to add the ubuntugis-unstable ppa which has
> libgdal1h for 12.04.

Perfect, this does the trick!

# get the PPA
pgis at pgis-ubuntu64-vm:~$ sudo add-apt-repository
ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable
You are about to add the following PPA to your system:
 Unstable releases of Ubuntu GIS packages
gpg: key 314DF160: public key "Launchpad ubuntugis-stable" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1  (RSA: 1)
OK

# update the local cache:
pgis at pgis-ubuntu64-vm:~$ sudo apt-get update
Get:1 http://security.ubuntu.com precise-security Release.gpg [198 B]
Fetched 4,520 kB in 3s (1,282 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done

# install it (not indicating the "grass70" meta package!):
pgis at pgis-ubuntu64-vm:~$ sudo apt-get install grass70-core grass70-gui
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  freeglut3 gdal-bin libarmadillo2 libblas3gf libdap11 libdapclient3
libepsilon0 libfftw3-3
  python-wxversion
0 upgraded, 38 newly installed, 0 to remove and 216 not upgraded.
Need to get 46.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 146 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

# start the software
grass70

Works. Thanks for your help,

Markus

PS: I cannot determine the version but it must be pre r59875, i.e.
April 2014, could a newer version (eg beta3) be packaged?