[GRASS-user] [GRASS-dev] Object-based image classification in GRASS

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Thu Feb 13 01:20:47 PST 2014

On 02/13/14, 09:58 , Blumentrath, Stefan wrote:
> Personally, I do not have any problems with the names of r.stats,
> r.univar or r.statistics.
>
> However, I see that r.statistics2 or r.statistics3 is not a too elegant
> solution…
>

> If you really plan to rename all these modules, what about a
> two-dot-name like r.statistics.*

I think that the two-dot-name solution would be the way to go. This
would add more structure to the naming, and would make it easier to find
all modules doing stats.

> Yet, there are more modules for
> calculating different statistics (like e.g. r.quantile)... So personally

Over time, the existing other modules could be renamed, but the original
modules could stay and just give a warning: "deprecated - use
r.statistics.whatever instead" and execute the correct module.

And then in the next major version, these could raise an error and not
execute the module, and finally just delete the original module.

Cheers,

Rainer

Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University