[GRASS-user] [GRASS-dev] Object-based image classification in GRASS

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Thu Feb 13 00:58:09 PST 2014

Personally, I do not have any problems with the names of r.stats, r.univar or r.statistics.
However, I see that r.statistics2 or r.statistics3 is not a too elegant solution...

If you really plan to rename all these modules, what about a two-dot-name like r.statistics.* Yet, there are more modules for calculating different statistics (like e.g. r.quantile)... So personally I would just rename r.statistics2 and r.statistics3 and leave the rest as it is...

Naming the modules exactly to what they do will not be too easy I guess as they have different options which make them really versatile tools.
r.univar for example has an option to overlay with a cell map for zoning "zonal statistics" (at least in GRASS 7)... The main difference to r.statistics is in this case that it does not produce map-output...
r.stats (which is one of my favorites btw.) can do much more than just summarizing maps, the main characteristic of r.stats is (as I see it) that it tabulates one or more rasters...

Just my 2c.

Cheers
Stefan