[GRASS-user] r.profile

sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com
Wed Jul 2 10:07:29 PDT 2014

---- Mark Seibel <mseibel at gmail.com> wrote:
> When using r.profile interactively in a location using horizontal and
> vertical units of meters, the output profile is correct.  My transect is
> about 800 meters long.
>
> When using r.profile interactively in a location using horizontal and
> vertical units of feet, the Y axis (raster elevation values) displays
> values correctly.  However, the X axis stops plotting at 800 *feet* but
> puts the endpoint 'triangle' of the profile at the correct distance on the
> X axis at around 2600 feet.   Essentially, it squishes the plot to fit
> between 0 and 800 when it should be between 0 and around 2600.
>
> I notice that when I measure distances, the display also outputs the units
> in meters, but the values are in feet.  Seems like a related issue.
>
> Where do I change this so that units are correct as feet?  I've tried
> setting the EPSG code in Settings-->Preferences-->Projection Tab to 2882
> with the proj.4 string inserted, but it still treats the horizontal units
> as if they were meters and not feet when measuring or profiling the surface.
>
> Tried r.profile in GRASS 6.4 and 7.1 on Linux Mint with same results.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

This is a long standing problem (for me anyway) - see thread from 2012
https://www.mail-archive.com/grass-dev@lists.osgeo.org/msg26480.html
I still have the problem but have learned to adapt … I upgrade the csv output to the appropriate scales in GNU Octave and replot… bit of a pain but it works.
Interesting that you are experiencing this on a Linux system - others reported the problem not replicated on Linux back in 2012.

Stu