[GRASS-user] Problems with GRASS7 compilation, GDAL plugin compilation and WPS

dabraham dominikabraham at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 04:11:49 PDT 2014

I'm working on the implementation of GRASS as a repository of algorithms for
52° North WPS. Unfortunately, I have several problems with it.

I tried it first with GRASS version 7.1, but there is a more complex
problem. See post from 16.6 by Benjamin Pross:
http://geoprocessing.forum.52north.org/Problem-with-TIFF-and-GML-td4025629.html

Then I got a recommendation to install this (older) version:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/binary/linux/snapshot/
But it isn't only for 64-bit system? Because I use 32-bit system.

Now I'm trying to compile 7.0.0 release branch
(http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/DownloadSource#GRASS7.0) and follow this
guide: http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu. I have
successfully compiled Proj4, GEOS _ GDAL GRASS without support (in the
manual is written about GDAL 1.10 bud it also works with version 1.11?). In
the "GRASS GIS 7 configuration example" I had to solve a few problems:
1) I have removed support for ffmpeg, otherwise compilation is unsuccessful.
2) "--with-postgresql" had to be replaced by "--with-postgres", otherwise
GRASS will be without PostgreSQL support.
3) I added the missing backslashes in the last few rows.
My configuration now looks like this, maybe it helps someone :)

CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall" LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure \
--enable-largefile=yes \
--with-nls \
--with-cxx \
--with-proj-share=/usr/local/share/proj \
--with-geos=/usr/local/bin/geos-config \
--with-python=yes \
--with-wxwidgets \
--with-cairo \
--with-opengl-libs=/usr/include/GL \
--with-freetype=yes --with-freetype-includes="/usr/include/freetype2/" \
--with-sqlite=yes \
--with-postgres=yes --with-postgres-includes="/usr/include/postgresql" \
--with-mysql=yes --with-mysql-includes="/usr/include/mysql" \
--with-odbc=no \
--with-liblas-config=/usr/bin/liblas-config \
--with-liblas=yes

Compilation was successful, but when I started GRASS threw me an error,
which is mentioned here: http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1665. Default
location is "demolocation" and there is no mapset only PERMANENT. How do I
create a new mapset that I can normally use in GRASS?

My operating system is Ubuntu 14.04 without any GUI, so even GRASS is
compiled without GUI. Is it possible to compile GRASS with GUI with X11
support, so then I could work with it via Xming (or something similar)?

I have big problems at compile GDAL-GRASS plugin.
1) GRASS library path should refer to the source code folder, or the folder
where the compiled GRASS?
2) --with-grass should refer to the source code folder, or the folder where
the compiled GRASS?
So I tried both options, but then same errors occured:
3) I set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH according to the instructions, then I started
ldconfig but I still discarded error: configure: error: --with-grass =
<somegrasspath> requested, but libraries not found! Perhaps you need to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include <somegrasspath>/lib?
I tried to define LD_LIBRARY_PATH well. Bashrc, but it didn't help.
4) The manual says that it should be compiled using "chechinstall", so "make
install" can not be used?

I will be grateful for any advice.

Dominik