[GRASS-user] Problems with GRASS7 compilation, GDAL plugin compilation and WPS

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Jul 21 15:07:02 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 1:11 PM, dabraham <dominikabraham at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working on the implementation of GRASS as a repository of algorithms for
> 52° North WPS. Unfortunately, I have several problems with it.

So let's try to figure it out.

> I tried it first with GRASS version 7.1, but there is a more complex
> problem. See post from 16.6 by Benjamin Pross:
> http://geoprocessing.forum.52north.org/Problem-with-TIFF-and-GML-td4025629.html

... which on? There are many postings.

> Then I got a recommendation to install this (older) version:
> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/binary/linux/snapshot/
> But it isn't only for 64-bit system? Because I use 32-bit system.

You can easily (no kidding) compile GRASS yourself if needed.
(but yes, the snapshot is for 64bit systems).

> Now I'm trying to compile 7.0.0 release branch
> (http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/DownloadSource#GRASS7.0) and follow this
> guide: http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu. I have
> successfully compiled Proj4, GEOS _ GDAL GRASS without support (in the
> manual is written about GDAL 1.10 bud it also works with version 1.11?).

Yes, it is even recommended. I have updated the wiki.

> In
> the "GRASS GIS 7 configuration example" I had to solve a few problems:
> 1) I have removed support for ffmpeg, otherwise compilation is unsuccessful.

Yes, fine.

> 2) "--with-postgresql" had to be replaced by "--with-postgres", otherwise
> GRASS will be without PostgreSQL support.

Right, fixed in the Wiki, too.

> 3) I added the missing backslashes in the last few rows.

Seems the wiki author was sleepy. Fixed, too.

> My configuration now looks like this, maybe it helps someone :)
>
> CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall" LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure \
> --enable-largefile=yes \
> --with-nls \
> --with-cxx \
> --with-proj-share=/usr/local/share/proj \
> --with-geos=/usr/local/bin/geos-config \
> --with-python=yes \
> --with-wxwidgets \
> --with-cairo \
> --with-opengl-libs=/usr/include/GL \
> --with-freetype=yes --with-freetype-includes="/usr/include/freetype2/" \
> --with-sqlite=yes \
> --with-postgres=yes --with-postgres-includes="/usr/include/postgresql" \
> --with-mysql=yes --with-mysql-includes="/usr/include/mysql" \
> --with-odbc=no \
> --with-liblas-config=/usr/bin/liblas-config \
> --with-liblas=yes
>
> Compilation was successful, but when I started GRASS threw me an error,
> which is mentioned here: http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1665

May there be an old ~/.grass7/rc file around?

> location is "demolocation" and there is no mapset only PERMANENT.

... that's fine.

> How do I create a new mapset that I can normally use in GRASS?

Either via GUI in the start screen.
Or
grass70 -c ~/grassdata/demolocation/mymapset

> My operating system is Ubuntu 14.04 without any GUI, so even GRASS is
> compiled without GUI. Is it possible to compile GRASS with GUI with X11
> support, so then I could work with it via Xming (or something similar)?

There is no more X11 support in GRASS 7.

> I have big problems at compile GDAL-GRASS plugin.
> 1) GRASS library path should refer to the source code folder, or the folder
> where the compiled GRASS?
> 2) --with-grass should refer to the source code folder, or the folder where
> the compiled GRASS?

Did you check
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_install_GDAL-GRASS_plugin
?

Ah, and there is yet a patch in GDAL needed:
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2953

Hope this helps,
Markus