[GRASS-user] LS factor for USLE

Scherer Laura scherer at ifu.baug.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 25 03:04:38 PDT 2014

Hi Martin, hi Stefan,

Thanks for your feedback. I already tried with projected coordinate systems and different thresholds before asking here, but always got results that seemed strange to me. I don't have any feeling for typical values, but the r.watershed documentation says it's usually below 1 and that's true for most of the cells, but some are as high as 55 (after division by 100). But these extremes are very much dependent on the threshold. And most values are 0.03 (at a small threshold all were 0.03). That's why I thought that maybe only values at outlets are reliable, but according to the link from Stefan it has nothing to do with outlets and I should get results for all cells (except for streams).
I just tested the approach with r.slope.aspect, r.flow and r.mapcalc as described in the GRASS GIS book, but the output is even more strange. Everything is zero up to the 75% quantile and afterwards much higher (up to 4000).
Maybe interesting to know is that I want to do it for the world and as at 1 km the processing never seemed to end, I lowered the resolution to 10 km.

Best regards,
Laura