[GRASS-user] Problems 3D rendering with WxNviz (Ubuntu)

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 03:30:05 PDT 2014

Hi,

it wanted to try out the 3D capabilities of GRASS 7. However when I change
to the 3d view (WxNviz) nothing is rendered, instead I get the message that
I should try a different depth buffer number. This procedure is also
mentioned in the wiki (http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WxNviz).
However, I tried now all possible numbers (0,16,24,32) saved the
preferences and restarted the gui with the new settings but the problem
persists (BTW, the possible number 0 is mentioned in the wiki but not in
the preferences GUI).

I am not sure what is causing the problem in my case. Here I just need to
mention that I am working on a slightly special set up. GRASS is running on
a virtual Ubuntu machine (via VMWare) which is installed on a central multi
core machine (Intel® Xeon(R) CPU X5675 @ 3.07GHz × 8, Ubuntu 12.04, 32
bit). I connect to the virtual machine via a remote desktop connection (RDP
connection) from a so called thin-client.

My GRASS setup as follows:
version=7.0.svn
date=2014
revision=59321M
build_date=2014-03-25
build_platform=i686-pc-linux-gnu
libgis_revision=59317
libgis_date="2014-03-24 20:38:32 +0100 (Mon, 24 Mar 2014) "
proj4=4.8.0
gdal=1.10.0
geos=3.3.8
sqlite=3.7.9

Does anyone have a suggestion how to deal with that problem or how to find
out where the exact problem (remote connection, Ubuntu, GRASS) is located?

Thanks,
Johannes