[GRASS-user] d.out.file / d.save - Shell-script use issues

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 13:50:08 PST 2014

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 7:07 AM, Nikos Alexandris <nik at nikosalexandris.net>
wrote:

> * Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> [2014-11-12 09:35:32 -0500]:
>
> > I kindly ask command line users of d.* commands, especially those using
> d.*
> > commands in scripts, to test and participate in discussions concerning
> d.*
> > commands in GRASS GIS 7. For example, d.out.file was added (relatively)
> > lately to 7 and there is new command d.to.rast. They are designed to work
> > with wxGUI (including wx monitors).
>
> I quickly ran through most d.* commands (except for the d.vect* stuff).
> Some notes:
>
> d.erase:  I would like to do `d.erase black`. Black is a *good*
> background color.
>
> One of the problems with `d.erase` is that it is not clear what it is
supposed to do. Remove maps from display? Set background? Zoom to region?
Different people were/are using it with different ideas in mind. This is
also one of the reasons why `d.erase` is not implemented in the main GUI.

> d.info -g:  Maybe change the -g's flag description? 's/geographic//' to
> avoid confusion(s) (geographic vs. projected, etc.)?

This sounds good. Sometimes we are using "map coordinates", I think, but
just coordinates might be enough.

d.rast.edit: let instructions/mouse actions explained inside a
> wx-monitor?

This is quite problematic one since it is not integrated with the rest of
the GUI (and it is hard to do that). I'm not sure about future of this
module but what you are saying makes lot of sense.

> For the d.what* commands, the icons to perform such queries exist
> already in a wx-Monitor, right?
>
> Right, icons are there and are pretty powerful. Anna recently changed also
the backend to be more robust. She also added the support for d.what.rast
and d.what.vect commands to `d.mon wx*`.

> Isn't it possible to merge d.out.file and d.to.rast?  Maybe instruct
> "to.rast" with a flag or an explicit output name?
>
> I think that from user point of view the export from GRASS is something
else than getting the raster. From implementation point of view, they are
quite similar but this is not much important when designing the interface.
So, it is possible but I don't think that it is a good idea since they are
doing different things. (No strong opinion, however.)

Nikos