[GRASS-user] Grass Novice in Trouble

Neil Wyatt stub.mandrel at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 00:22:31 PST 2014

I appear to have broken Grass

I am using Grass 6-4-4-1 on a windows 8.1 machine.

I have used Mapinfo in the past and spent most of today learning the ropes.

I have managed to load OSGB data and create and modify maps, but as the day
has gone on the display has become slow and unresponsive.

I thought this may be because I had loaded too many large layers, so I
created a new mapset with the plan of zooming to my area of interest, making
it a region and only loading the parts of the maps within the region.

Even this simple two-map mapset wouldn't display - it seemed to be refusing
to zoom to the map, or thinking it was outside the region.

I have obviously tried fiddling with map settings and regions trying to get
my blank screen to show a map.

Now, whichever mapset I chose (including the demo mapsets) I get the splash
screen (with the ancient map), the main screen appears for a fraction of a
second, and then both disappear.

I have tried restarts and even a full reinstall, but I can't actually get
into the program.

Can anyone think what I have broken. at the very least, is there a way to
ensure every single ini file/registry key etc. is cleaned out so I can start
completely from scratch again?

All help gratefully received.

Regards

Neil