[GRASS-user] mapcalculator error on grass through R (spgrass6)

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 10:51:41 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Frederico Mestre <
mestre.frederico at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hello all:
>
> I'm using grass through R, however I came across an error, while using a
> function that uses mapcalculator:
>
> Error in system(cmd0, intern = TRUE) : 'r.mapcalculator.exe' not found
> Error in parseGRASS(cmd, legacyExec = legacyExec) :
>   r.mapcalculator not found
>
> The right module for raster algebra is r.mapcalc.

r.mapcalculator is a sh script used by QGIS Processing and similar tools to
help with passing raster maps to GRASS and back. spgrass6 is not doing
anything like this as far as I know, so the standard r.mapcalc is the
module to use.

Perhaps the names are little confusing. Also the fact that r.mapcalculator
is sh script in GRASS GIS 7 is quite surprising.

Anyway, r.mapcalc should solve your problem.

I initiated the grass session by doing: