[GRASS-user] detecting olive trees from satellite imagery

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Oct 29 07:35:12 PDT 2014

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014, Margherita Di Leo wrote:

> I have to develop a classifier to detect olive tree canopies using Geoeye-1
> images.

Margherita,

   Is the reflected color spectrum of olive trees different from vegetation
that would normally be expected outside the orchards?

   If so, I would suggest a training set obtained by visiting a few olive
orchards and recording the geographic coordinates of the center as well as
an average radius (or the sides of a rectangular orchard). The satellite
band values for those location can then be used to classify vegetation and
find other olive orchards.

   Of course, you've probably already done this, and it's been about 30 years
since I last worked with satellite imagery so I'm not current on the
technologies.

Rich