[GRASS-user] detecting olive trees from satellite imagery

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 07:05:14 PDT 2014

Dear All,

I have to develop a classifier to detect olive tree canopies using Geoeye-1
images. I had thought of segmentation and indeed the segmentation is
capable of separating and detecting canopies. However I need now a
classifier that retains only the segments that represent olive trees. The
range of values assigned to canopies is quite high and doesn't follow a
particular order, hence i haven't found an obvious mapcalc rule so far.
However, I have been reasoning about the particular pattern that
characterise olive orchards: olive trees are obviously round, disposed on
regular grids, at constant distance to each other, and the canopies,
although having different sizes (within a certain range), are almost always
well separated from each other. I am now looking to a way to translate this
concept into operational rule. I'm sure that this is nothing new, so I was
wondering if you could point me relevant literature and existing tools to
put this in practice.

Thank you in advance for any hints

--
Best regards,

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.