[GRASS-user] Unable to use Command Line Access to GRASS-GIS

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Fri Oct 31 10:23:46 PDT 2014

Artur Bercik wrote
> Dear Vaclav Petras:
>
> Thanks for your answer, and sorry for cross posting.
>
> I am thinking of accessing the grass command line through
> "C:\OSGeo4W\bin\grass70.bat" using  python subprocess.call
>
> Are you familiar with this one?

there are 2 cases how to use the "grass command line" in windows.

(1) within a grass session
(2) outside a grass session

regarding (1): OSGeo4W-winGRASS as well standalone installer winGRASS comes
with a fully working windows console aka "grass command line". just start
"Launch GRASS GIS 7.x with wxGUI" and there is also the windows console. if
you don't want to start winGRASS with a GUI, just start "Launch GRASS GIS
7.x in text mode" only a windows console aka "grass command line" starts
within a GRASS session and all r.*, v.* etc. modules can be accessed.

regarding (2): if you want to use all r.*, v.* etc. modules outside a GRASS
session, then follow the way Pietro mentioned and the instructions in the
wiki [1]:

"It is possible to access GRASS modules without explicitly starting a "GRASS
session". GRASS libraries require certain environment variables to be set.
In fact a "GRASS session" is just a set of processes (e.g. a shell and/or
GUI) which have the necessary environment settings, specifically:

    GISBASE needs to be set to the top-level directory of the GRASS
installation.
    GISRC needs to contain the absolute path to a file containing settings
for GISDBASE, LOCATION_NAME and MAPSET.
    PATH needs to include $GISBASE/bin and $GISBASE/scripts.
[...]"

please keep in mind you _can't_ start a GRASS module like e.g. i.cluster.exe
in a windows console outside a GRASS session unless certain environment
variables are set accordingly see above and [2].

regarding the error message:

"the program can't start because libint-8.dll is missing from your computer.
Try reinstalling the program..."

winGRASS and it's functionality is compiled with some/a lot dependencies.
the path to these dependencies has also to be in %PATH% (e.g. C:\OSGeo4W\bin
where libint-8.dll).

[1]
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Working_with_GRASS_without_starting_it_explicitly
[2] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass71/manuals/variables.html