[GRASS-user] conditional buffering with DEM

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Thu Apr 23 03:28:29 PDT 2015

* Ahmet Temiz <ahmettemiz88 at gmail.com> [2015-04-23 12:16:49 +0300]:

> hello,
>
> Which function can we use to generate  a map that has conditional buffering
> according to DEM from a line ?

Hello Ahmet,

I don't understand the "from a line" part of your question. Yet, I guess
you mean to keep a specific range of DEM values.

You can directly use r.mapcalc for such tasks.

1) Remember to set the extent and the resolution of the active
computational region, it'll be also the one of the new map produced by
r.mapcalc

2) r.mapcalc 'NewMap = if( DEM > 100 && DEM < 200, DEM, null())'

This example will write only DEM values between '100 < DEM < 200' in the
"NewMap" and will set to NULL all other pixels that don't satisfy the
above expression.  For more, please look at r.mapcalc's manual.

Of course, all this is valid and achievable via the GUI.

Regards, Nikos